Jul 15, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Ryan Hunter-Reay won at Toronto in 2012 and finished third in 2011. Will Power is a two-time Toronto winner.
The two combined didn’t have a finish better than 15th in either race this weekend.
They are among those needing to leave their bad luck behind in Canada and move onto Mid-Ohio seeking a rebound. Here’s what happened to them and some of the others who could have used a better weekend in Toronto.
- Ryan Hunter-Reay and Will Power. What a tough weekend for the championship rivals of 2012. “RHR,” whose momentum was rolling through the short oval run of the season, has hit the skids in the last three races through almost no fault of his own. On Saturday, the defending champion had two stalls on pit lane and a nose change that ultimately left him 18th. He ended a spot worse on Sunday after last lap contact with Power exiting Turn 1, heading to Turn 2. Power’s trouble spot all weekend was Turn 3, as twice on Saturday he overcooked his braking point and slid off line, while the contact on Sunday left him 18th.
- Takuma Sato. If Franchitti’s been the top riser in points, Sato has been on an uncontrollable decline since Brazil. He led the points entering Indianapolis; he’s now 12th, nine races later, with just one top-10 finish in that time frame. He retired with a broken exhaust header on Saturday and from contact on Sunday after being caught up in the RHR-Power contact, with nowhere to go. Tough days for the A.J. Foyt Racing team and driver, who seek to recapture their early season momentum.
- Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing. The pair of Graham Rahal and James Jakes took four combined top-10s at Detroit and a grand total of zero from Toronto. Rahal’s Saturday charge was halted by contact with Tristan Vautier – which didn’t amuse his dad and team boss Bobby – and an anonymous run to 13th occurred on Sunday. Jakes, meanwhile, had the pace to be a contender as he made the Firestone Fast Six on Friday, but was saddled with a 10-spot grid penalty. He recovered to 12th. On Sunday, Jakes made a rare mistake when he hit the curbs hard through Turn 5, with the jolt forcing his hands off the wheel and sending him into the wall.
- Sebastian Saavedra. The Colombian has punched above his weight at times this year, but with a mostly new crew in his camp and teammate Sebastien Bourdais finally finding form with new engineer, it was a rough weekend for the “junior Seb” at Dragon Racing. Last place on the grid on Saturday and getting caught up on the Lap 65 four-car pileup then left him 16th, while he was slightly better on Sunday, ending 15th. Saavedra is just three points ahead of Mike Conway – Saavedra has driven all 13 races this year, Conway just five.
Jul 25, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Sergio Perez and Esteban Gutierrez delighted by the news, calling it a “dream come true”.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:30 AM EDT
First run-out for Marussia will come at Spa; set for Austin in November.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:00 AM EDT
The final race before the summer break in F1 highlights a jam-packed weekend of motorsport across the NBC Sports Group network.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:31 AM EDT
Another one-two for Mercedes during first practice, with Hamilton leading Rosberg.
Jul 25, 2014, 3:45 AM EDT
The first chance for teams to get in some running at the Hungaroring comes this morning at 4am ET.
Jul 24, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT
On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR AMERICA, Jeff Burton joined the crew to discuss what makes racing in the Brickyard 400 unique. Burton says NASCAR is a guest at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway due to the history IndyCar has made at the track.
Jul 24, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR AMERICA and in preparation for this week’s Brickyard 400, Leigh Diffey talked with 2006 Indianapolis 500 winner Sam Hornish Jr. on what it was like to win the third closest finish in race history. Hornish also discussed some of the keys that drivers will need to succeed at the Brickyard 400.
Jul 24, 2014, 5:52 PM EDT
After two years of huge success with the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series racing at his Eldora Speedway, Tony Stewart would love to eventually see the Nationwide and Sprint Cup series come to his little half-mile track, as well.
Jul 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
On Thursday’s NASCAR AMERICA, Leigh Diffey is the in-studio host and is joined by Sam Hornish Jr. (2006 Indy 500 winner and current Nationwide Series driver and winner of the 2014 Iowa Nationwide race).
Jul 24, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Indy Racing Experience has partnered with Make-A-Wish® Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana to enhance two wishes during the Kroger Brickyard Super Weekend that takes place at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway July 24-27, 2014.
Jul 24, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Ryan Hunter-Reay earns another award after his Indianapolis 500 win.
Jul 24, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Pirelli World Challenge President/CEO Scott Bove and 15-year-old rising star Austin Cindric to race a GTS Ford Mustang Boss for charity at Mid-Ohio weekend.
Jul 24, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Sauber driver pleased with his pace in Germany, and cares little for the question marks about his future.
Jul 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Italian tire supplier confirms its selections for the Belgian, Italian and Singapore Grands Prix.
Report: Deal for Marcos Ambrose’ return to Australia to race V8 Supercars for Roger Penske may be close
Jul 24, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT
While it’s seemed Marcos Ambrose was a lock to return to Richard Petty Motorsports, especially with all the positive things he’s said about wanting to stay in recent weeks and months, a report Thursday has Ambrose leaving NASCAR after this season and returning to his native Australia to race V8 Supercars — potentially for a new team owned by iconic American race team owner Roger Penske.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Ferrari driver has few qualms about Kimi’s difficulties in 2014.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
Former Brickyard 400 winner Bobby Labonte will be returning to race at the fabled Indianapolis Motor Speedway in this Sunday’s 21st running of the Brickyard.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Our writing team makes its predictions for this weekend’s race at the Hungaroring.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
American youngster joins Marussia as its official reserve driver with immediate effect.
- Hungarian GP highlights 30+ hours of motorsports coverage across NBC, NBCSN and CNBC this weekend 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for Hungarian GP 0
- Report: Deal for Marcos Ambrose’ return to Australia to race V8 Supercars for Roger Penske may be close 7
- MotorSportsTalk’s Predictions: Hungarian GP 0
- Alexander Rossi joins Marussia as reserve driver 4