Jul 16, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Ryan Briscoe underwent successful surgery Monday in Indianapolis to repair his broken wrist. IndyCar orthopedic consultant Dr. Kevin Scheid performed the surgery, which included the fitting of a small t-plate and screws into the fracture on Briscoe’s distal radius bone.
Further evaluations will occur on Wednesday and on July 30, the latter of which Briscoe is expected to be fitted for a carbon fiber splint.
“Big thanks to everybody at the Indiana Orthopedic Hospital for the great hospitality and speedy surgery,” Briscoe said in a team release. “Everybody at the hospital, and all of the IndyCar medical staff, have done a great job taking good care of me and I can’t thank them enough. I’m feeling good and can’t wait to get back behind the wheel.”
Briscoe was still on site Sunday in Toronto when his injury replacement at Panther Racing, Carlos Munoz, made his first IZOD IndyCar Series street course start in the No. 4 National Guard Chevrolet. Briscoe’s availability for the next IndyCar race at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course on August 4 is undetermined.
His injury has not only compromised his IndyCar commitments, but also those in the American Le Mans Series with Level 5 Motorsports. Briscoe has won twice in four races co-driving with Level 5 team boss Scott Tucker in the LMP2 class HPD ARX-03b, but the latter of which two weeks ago at Lime Rock was shrouded in controversy after contact with Guy Cosmo. Briscoe and Tucker kept the win, but were docked points.
His fellow part-time IndyCar pilot Mike Conway has got the call to replace him for this weekend’s ALMS race at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park in Mosport, confirmed by the team on Tuesday. The Englishman has raced the full FIA World Endurance Championship with the G-Drive Racing team and its Oreca 03 Nissan in LMP2.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 87
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 14
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1