Jul 16, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Red Bull will give Daniel Ricciardo a chance to drive their car in testing at Silverstone this week as the junior driver edges closer to a race seat with the team.
Ricciardo is one of three drivers under consideration for the drive including his Toro Rosso team mate Jean-Eric Vergne, who will not be driving the RB9. Kimi Raikkonen, whose contract with Lotus expires at the end of this year, is also in contention for a seat alongside Sebastian Vettel.
Ricciardo has impressed with two third-row starting positions in the last two races. He finished eighth at Silverstone having lost out during the final Safety Car period.
The Toro Rosso driver will get behind the wheel of the RB9 on Wednesday afternoon after Antonio Felix da Costa’s run in the morning. Da Costa will be back in the car on Thursday morning before handing over to Mark Webber – the driver whose impending departure has left Red Bull with a vacancy for 2014.
Carlos Sainz Jnr will take over the car on Friday morning and Sebastian Vettel will drive it in the afternoon.
Ricciardo and Vergne will also drive for Toro Rosso during the three days of running. Race drivers are allowed to participate in the Young Drivers’ Test in order to try the new tires Pirelli are bringing to the Hungarian Grand Prix.
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 0
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0
- NHRA: Tony Pedregon hopes to keep momentum going in Norwalk 0