Jul 16, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Red Bull will give Daniel Ricciardo a chance to drive their car in testing at Silverstone this week as the junior driver edges closer to a race seat with the team.
Ricciardo is one of three drivers under consideration for the drive including his Toro Rosso team mate Jean-Eric Vergne, who will not be driving the RB9. Kimi Raikkonen, whose contract with Lotus expires at the end of this year, is also in contention for a seat alongside Sebastian Vettel.
Ricciardo has impressed with two third-row starting positions in the last two races. He finished eighth at Silverstone having lost out during the final Safety Car period.
The Toro Rosso driver will get behind the wheel of the RB9 on Wednesday afternoon after Antonio Felix da Costa’s run in the morning. Da Costa will be back in the car on Thursday morning before handing over to Mark Webber – the driver whose impending departure has left Red Bull with a vacancy for 2014.
Carlos Sainz Jnr will take over the car on Friday morning and Sebastian Vettel will drive it in the afternoon.
Ricciardo and Vergne will also drive for Toro Rosso during the three days of running. Race drivers are allowed to participate in the Young Drivers’ Test in order to try the new tires Pirelli are bringing to the Hungarian Grand Prix.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 0
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 0
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0