Jul 16, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
“I’m just afraid if I rearranged his face, I might fix it,” Newman said yesterday on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio according to Nate Ryan of USA Today. “We know he’s not very bright. He’s a heck of a talent, but he’s not very bright and I’ll leave it at that.”
On Sunday, Kyle Busch called out Newman for his role in a Lap 226 incident that included Busch’s older brother, Kurt, and Matt Kenseth – an incident that Kenseth found Kurt Busch at fault for (“Kind of lost our track position when Kurt cleaned out Newman – I had to stop to miss that wreck,” said Kenseth).
Kurt had led 102 laps and appeared to be a threat for the win on the “Magic Mile” until the Turn 2 wreck, which dropped him to a 31st-place finish. Shortly after the checkered flag flew, Kyle proceeded to blast Newman on the SiriusXM post-race show when the conversation apparently turned to his older brother’s misfortune.
“Ryan Newman is the biggest stupid idiot out here,” Busch said at the time. “He’s a big ogre and can do whatever he wants because he can probably kick anybody’s butt. So no sense getting in a fight with him. Glad he’s out of a job.”
Newman had been told earlier in the week that he would not be returning to Stewart-Haas Racing in 2014 after a five-year run with the outfit. With that in mind, he cautioned “Rowdy” on Monday to mind his P’s and Q’s.
“It seems like after his comments about me not having a ride and all that stuff, seems like he’s got way more to lose than I do, so I think he might check his trap there before he gets too ahead of himself,” said Newman. “If he’s going to run his mouth, he better be able to back running his mouth.”
At Loudon, Newman mentioned that he had been hit multiple times on restarts – including once by Kyle Busch – leading up to his wreck at Lap 226. With his car beyond repair, he finished 39th.
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1