Jul 16, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
“I’m just afraid if I rearranged his face, I might fix it,” Newman said yesterday on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio according to Nate Ryan of USA Today. “We know he’s not very bright. He’s a heck of a talent, but he’s not very bright and I’ll leave it at that.”
On Sunday, Kyle Busch called out Newman for his role in a Lap 226 incident that included Busch’s older brother, Kurt, and Matt Kenseth – an incident that Kenseth found Kurt Busch at fault for (“Kind of lost our track position when Kurt cleaned out Newman – I had to stop to miss that wreck,” said Kenseth).
Kurt had led 102 laps and appeared to be a threat for the win on the “Magic Mile” until the Turn 2 wreck, which dropped him to a 31st-place finish. Shortly after the checkered flag flew, Kyle proceeded to blast Newman on the SiriusXM post-race show when the conversation apparently turned to his older brother’s misfortune.
“Ryan Newman is the biggest stupid idiot out here,” Busch said at the time. “He’s a big ogre and can do whatever he wants because he can probably kick anybody’s butt. So no sense getting in a fight with him. Glad he’s out of a job.”
Newman had been told earlier in the week that he would not be returning to Stewart-Haas Racing in 2014 after a five-year run with the outfit. With that in mind, he cautioned “Rowdy” on Monday to mind his P’s and Q’s.
“It seems like after his comments about me not having a ride and all that stuff, seems like he’s got way more to lose than I do, so I think he might check his trap there before he gets too ahead of himself,” said Newman. “If he’s going to run his mouth, he better be able to back running his mouth.”
At Loudon, Newman mentioned that he had been hit multiple times on restarts – including once by Kyle Busch – leading up to his wreck at Lap 226. With his car beyond repair, he finished 39th.
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 0
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 1
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0