Jul 17, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
An off weekend for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series means the NASCAR Nationwide Series will have its day in the spotlight.
The Nationwide Series’ STP 300 at Chicagoland Speedway this Sunday may see the championship lead change hands.
Just five points separates Regan Smith from Sam Hornish Jr. (594-589), and the top five are covered by just 24 points. Austin Dillon (582), Justin Allgaier (574) and Elliott Sadler (570) are all in striking range, as they all seek their first wins of the season.
Sadler dropped the hammer on Smith after Loudon last weekend, when he told Smith directly after a post-race confrontation, point blank, “You will not win this championship, mark my word.” More on that kerfuffle is here from NASCAR.com.
Brian Vickers, who’s sixth in points, looks to ride the momentum of his Cup win at Loudon last weekend and translate it to the Nationwide side. Despite driving for Joe Gibbs Racing, he too is yet to visit victory lane in his full-time ride this year.
Dillon, Vickers, Brian Scott and Michael Annett have some extra incentive this weekend as the four qualifiers for Nationwide’s $100,000 “Dash 4 Cash” bonus. It’s the third of four races in the summer stretch, where the highest-finishing eligible driver wins a $100,000 bonus above and beyond the race purse. In addition, fans can also enter to win $100,000 and a trip to Indianapolis Motor Speedway through the NASCAR Nationwide Series $100k Sweepstakes.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 87
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 14
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1