Jul 17, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
The 55,000 German fans who headed to the Red Bull Soapbox Race in Landschaftspark Hoheward, Germany on Sunday witnessed the reigning world champion in action an unfamiliar outfit and an unusual car.
In place of his regular Red Bull overalls Vettel donned the instantly recognizable blue dungarees and red cap of a certain videogame character. And instead of his Adrian Newey-designed RB9 Vettel piloted something that looked very much like it belonged in Nintendo’s Super Mario Kart series.
Vettel took to the downhill course in his ‘Super Seb’ kart, crashing over bumps and kicking up plenty of dust before stopping to sign autographs for his fans.
The three-time world champion, fresh from his first home grand prix victory at the Nurburgring, was also on hand to judge the competition entrants. He chose one styled to look like a DMC DeLorean as a winner.
Video from NASCAR America
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 0
- What now if your favorite driver is eliminated from Chase? 1
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10
- UPDATED: Chase contender Kyle Busch back on track after Lap 102 crash (VIDEO) 0
- Faced with must-win scenarios, Earnhardt, Johnson lead halfway at Talladega 0
- Surprising revelation: Dale Jr. admits he coasted earlier in his career — ‘I just rested on my legacy and last name’ 0
- With nothing left to do but win, Dale Earnhardt Jr. faces Talladega with optimism 0