Jul 17, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
The 55,000 German fans who headed to the Red Bull Soapbox Race in Landschaftspark Hoheward, Germany on Sunday witnessed the reigning world champion in action an unfamiliar outfit and an unusual car.
In place of his regular Red Bull overalls Vettel donned the instantly recognizable blue dungarees and red cap of a certain videogame character. And instead of his Adrian Newey-designed RB9 Vettel piloted something that looked very much like it belonged in Nintendo’s Super Mario Kart series.
Vettel took to the downhill course in his ‘Super Seb’ kart, crashing over bumps and kicking up plenty of dust before stopping to sign autographs for his fans.
The three-time world champion, fresh from his first home grand prix victory at the Nurburgring, was also on hand to judge the competition entrants. He chose one styled to look like a DMC DeLorean as a winner.
Video from NASCAR America
- F1 2014 Review: Stories of the Season 0
- Toro Rosso confirms Carlos Sainz Jr. for 2015 F1 season 1
- F1 2014 Driver Review: Lewis Hamilton 0
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 12
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 3