Jul 17, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
The 55,000 German fans who headed to the Red Bull Soapbox Race in Landschaftspark Hoheward, Germany on Sunday witnessed the reigning world champion in action an unfamiliar outfit and an unusual car.
In place of his regular Red Bull overalls Vettel donned the instantly recognizable blue dungarees and red cap of a certain videogame character. And instead of his Adrian Newey-designed RB9 Vettel piloted something that looked very much like it belonged in Nintendo’s Super Mario Kart series.
Vettel took to the downhill course in his ‘Super Seb’ kart, crashing over bumps and kicking up plenty of dust before stopping to sign autographs for his fans.
The three-time world champion, fresh from his first home grand prix victory at the Nurburgring, was also on hand to judge the competition entrants. He chose one styled to look like a DMC DeLorean as a winner.
- You might be surprised: Which former NASCAR champ holds record for most career last-place finishes? 0
- Lotus to defend Australian GP crown on the back foot 1
- Manager: Schumacher showing “small, encouraging signs” 0
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 2
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 1
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)