Jul 18, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Pastor Maldonado has revealed that he feels a noticeable difference in the new Pirelli tires that have been tested at Silverstone this week.
Following the fiasco that ensued at the British Grand Prix, Pirelli decided to re-introduce the 2012 tire constructions for the Hungarian Grand Prix, warranting the use of full-time drivers at the Young Drivers’ Test at Silverstone this week. With the size of the tire being slightly different, Maldonado has confirmed that he is feeling a difference.
“The tires feel quite different but we need to see how we compare against other cars on the track with the same compounds,” Maldonado explained in a team statement. “We didn’t get performance from the car with them so we need more time in Hungary as we couldn’t make any set-up changes today.”
However, the one-time grand prix winner was pleased to get back behind the wheel ahead of the race at the Hungaroring in ten days’ time.
“It was good to be back in the car though, in preparation for getting back to racing next week.”
Williams have made a poor start to the season, failing to score any points and currently lying in 9th place in the constructors’ championship. The British team will therefore be hoping to go into the summer break after Hungary with some points on the board ahead of the final stretch to Interlagos.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 0
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 0
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1