Jul 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Daniel Ricciardo may have openly auditioned for Red Bull today at Silverstone, but the Australian driver is refusing to get caught up in rumors linking him with Mark Webber’s seat at the team next season.
After Christian Horner confirmed that Red Bull were only considering Ricciardo and Raikkonen for the seat, you could forgive the Toro Rosso driver for getting his hopes up. However, he is just pleased to have had the chance to test the RB9 today.
“In terms of the inevitable speculation, I think this test is something for Red Bull to look at, but there’s still the rest of the season with Toro Rosso to do, so I’ll switch my focus back to that and won’t get too caught up in any rumours,” Ricciardo explained in a team statement.
His day was not as smooth as he would have liked though, making a mistake which saw him beach the RB9 in the gravel just seven laps into his first run.
“I had a small off but otherwise it was a trouble-free day. The off was my mistake, I just lost the rear on the entry. It was a good opportunity to get behind the wheel and experience two different beasts today.”
Ricciardo will return to his duties with Toro Rosso for the rest of the season, with Red Bull expected to make an announcement regarding the second seat at some point over the summer.
- Power steals final pole of IndyCar’s 2015 season with new track record at Sonoma 2
- Oriol Servia reflects on his friend Justin Wilson, as he races No. 25 car at Sonoma (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5