Jul 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Daniel Ricciardo may have openly auditioned for Red Bull today at Silverstone, but the Australian driver is refusing to get caught up in rumors linking him with Mark Webber’s seat at the team next season.
After Christian Horner confirmed that Red Bull were only considering Ricciardo and Raikkonen for the seat, you could forgive the Toro Rosso driver for getting his hopes up. However, he is just pleased to have had the chance to test the RB9 today.
“In terms of the inevitable speculation, I think this test is something for Red Bull to look at, but there’s still the rest of the season with Toro Rosso to do, so I’ll switch my focus back to that and won’t get too caught up in any rumours,” Ricciardo explained in a team statement.
His day was not as smooth as he would have liked though, making a mistake which saw him beach the RB9 in the gravel just seven laps into his first run.
“I had a small off but otherwise it was a trouble-free day. The off was my mistake, I just lost the rear on the entry. It was a good opportunity to get behind the wheel and experience two different beasts today.”
Ricciardo will return to his duties with Toro Rosso for the rest of the season, with Red Bull expected to make an announcement regarding the second seat at some point over the summer.
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0
- Here’s your IndyCar times for this weekend’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama 0
- F1: Year-on-year, Ferrari’s gains, Mercedes’ continued edge reins after four races 0
- Racing community reflects on the loss of Fox Sports’ broadcaster Steve Byrnes 8
- Sam Schmidt’s inspirational lap in SAM Project, Arrow Corvette on NBC Nightly News (VIDEO, PHOTOS) 2