Jul 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Daniel Ricciardo may have openly auditioned for Red Bull today at Silverstone, but the Australian driver is refusing to get caught up in rumors linking him with Mark Webber’s seat at the team next season.
After Christian Horner confirmed that Red Bull were only considering Ricciardo and Raikkonen for the seat, you could forgive the Toro Rosso driver for getting his hopes up. However, he is just pleased to have had the chance to test the RB9 today.
“In terms of the inevitable speculation, I think this test is something for Red Bull to look at, but there’s still the rest of the season with Toro Rosso to do, so I’ll switch my focus back to that and won’t get too caught up in any rumours,” Ricciardo explained in a team statement.
His day was not as smooth as he would have liked though, making a mistake which saw him beach the RB9 in the gravel just seven laps into his first run.
“I had a small off but otherwise it was a trouble-free day. The off was my mistake, I just lost the rear on the entry. It was a good opportunity to get behind the wheel and experience two different beasts today.”
Ricciardo will return to his duties with Toro Rosso for the rest of the season, with Red Bull expected to make an announcement regarding the second seat at some point over the summer.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 0
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 1
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 4
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3