Jul 19, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Rubens Barrichello will return to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway next weekend, driving something other than an open-wheel car.
Per a report on RACER.com, Barrichello will share the No. 77 Doran Racing Dallara Ford Daytona Prototype in the GRAND-AM Rolex Series’ Brickyard Grand Prix. He’ll co-drive with Doug Peterson. The car is entered by the same team that ran Paul Tracy at Indianapolis last year, and a joint effort between Doran and CORE autosport for this year’s Rolex 24 at Daytona.
Barrichello’s 2013 has been spent in Brazilian Stock Cars after he was unable to gather enough funding to continue for a second season in IndyCar. Next weekend he’ll be racing against his close friend and “brother” Tony Kanaan, who is entered for the race in Chip Ganassi’s second car.
At Indianapolis, Barrichello is the 2012 Indianapolis 500 rookie-of-the-year, and the 2002 winner of the United States Grand Prix. The latter result unfortunately came from a staged finish between he and then-Ferrari teammate Michael Schumacher, where Barrichello edged ahead at the line.
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 3
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 9
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 1
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 2