Jul 19, 2013, 10:49 PM EST
The Akron (Ohio) Beacon-Journal is reporting that INDYCAR is to enter a multi-year marketing partnership with the famous All-American Soap Box Derby race.
As part of the agreement, all of the gravity-powered Derby cars will sport the INDYCAR logo, while the Derby will be promoted at INDYCAR events through a variety of formats such as the league’s website and 30-second at-track commercials.
The report also states that INDYCAR will invite Derby champions to attend at least two of its races, and that an IZOD IndyCar Series machine will be on display at “Derby Downs” in Akron, Ohio leading up to the 76th running of the event on July 27.
Per the Beacon-Journal’s Jim Mackinnon, an INDYCAR spokesman has said that executives with the sanctioning body are expected to sign off and make the partnership official on their end no later than Monday.
“We’re both working together to help both organizations,” Derby president Joe Mazur told the Beacon-Journal. “This is another great direction the Derby is going in.”
Video from NASCAR America
- IndyCar champ Will Power has hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 0
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 13
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1
- Sprint to end title sponsorship of NASCAR’s Cup Series after 2016 (VIDEO) 17