Jul 19, 2013, 10:49 PM EDT
The Akron (Ohio) Beacon-Journal is reporting that INDYCAR is to enter a multi-year marketing partnership with the famous All-American Soap Box Derby race.
As part of the agreement, all of the gravity-powered Derby cars will sport the INDYCAR logo, while the Derby will be promoted at INDYCAR events through a variety of formats such as the league’s website and 30-second at-track commercials.
The report also states that INDYCAR will invite Derby champions to attend at least two of its races, and that an IZOD IndyCar Series machine will be on display at “Derby Downs” in Akron, Ohio leading up to the 76th running of the event on July 27.
Per the Beacon-Journal’s Jim Mackinnon, an INDYCAR spokesman has said that executives with the sanctioning body are expected to sign off and make the partnership official on their end no later than Monday.
“We’re both working together to help both organizations,” Derby president Joe Mazur told the Beacon-Journal. “This is another great direction the Derby is going in.”
- Hinchcliffe released from hospital, expected to make full recovery 0
- Fast Facts: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit 0
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 4
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 5
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 11