Jul 19, 2013, 9:52 PM EDT
Sprint Cup veteran Ryan Newman will compete for Turner Scott Motorsports in Wednesday night’s “Mudsummer Classic” for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series at Eldora Speedway. For the first NASCAR national series race on dirt in over four decades, Newman will drive the No. 34 Chevrolet Silverado with backing from Oral-B, Wix Filters and Aggressive Hydraulics.
“This race is going to be something really special in NASCAR’s history,” Newman said in a team statement. “I’ve always enjoyed racing in the Truck Series and to be able to get back and race on dirt with a truck, I think everyone will be in for a special treat.”
Newman, who last competed in the Trucks in a 2011 race at Atlanta Motor Speedway, prepared for the Eldora race with a test on July 8 at the 311 Speedway in Pine Hill, North Carolina. He only has four career starts in the NCWTS, but with one victory (Atlanta 2008, with Kevin Harvick Inc.) and four Top-5 finishes, he has a strong record in the category.
However, his place in the “Mudsummer Classic” isn’t assured. Since only the Top 20 entrants in NCWTS owner’s points are guaranteed starting spots at Eldora, the Indiana native will have to race his way into the show through the qualifying races.
Newman becomes the second Sprint Cup pilot to enter the Eldora event, joining Dave Blaney, who will strap into the No. 19 Ford F-150 for reigning Cup champion Brad Keselowski‘s squad. Blaney has had great success in the past at Eldora, including victories there in the famous “Historical Big One” and “Kings Royal” sprint car events in 1995.
- Off The Grid: Silverstone preview (premieres 9/5 at 9:30am ET on NBCSN) 0
- Hamilton quickest again in second Italian GP practice 0
- Hamilton leads Mercedes one-two in Italian GP FP1 1
- NHRA: All you need to know about the 61st U.S. Nationals 0
- NHRA: Year’s biggest race, the U.S. Nationals, ready to roll 2
- F1 2015’s silly season is proving to be a let down, but who could yet spice it up? 4
- 2015 Italian Grand Prix Preview 0