Jul 19, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
Carlos Sainz Jr. has thanked Red Bull for giving him the opportunity to test at Silverstone this week, believing that his self-confidence has been boosted following some strong performances.
Sainz, whose father is a legend in rallying, finished an excellent 4th for Red Bull today at Silverstone just over half a tenth off defending world champion Sebastian Vettel. However, he is refusing to get carried away with the result.
“This has been an incredible opportunity,” Sainz said in a team statement. “It was not an easy day and the nerves were definitely there. In the end though, it all went smoothly and there were no major issues. I enjoyed the work and tried to do my best in terms of giving feedback to the team.
“It’s a big boost for my self-confidence, but I’m 18 years old, still very young and still learning. There’s a long way to go.”
Sainz is currently racing in GP3 for Arden, claiming one podium and two fastest laps so far this season. As a part of the Red Bull programme, the Spanish youngster could be in line to join Toro Rosso in the not-too-distant future should he continue to put in such impressive performances.
Video from NASCAR America
- F1 2014 Review: Stories of the Season 0
- Toro Rosso confirms Carlos Sainz Jr. for 2015 F1 season 1
- F1 2014 Driver Review: Lewis Hamilton 0
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 12
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 3