Jul 19, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Carlos Sainz Jr. has thanked Red Bull for giving him the opportunity to test at Silverstone this week, believing that his self-confidence has been boosted following some strong performances.
Sainz, whose father is a legend in rallying, finished an excellent 4th for Red Bull today at Silverstone just over half a tenth off defending world champion Sebastian Vettel. However, he is refusing to get carried away with the result.
“This has been an incredible opportunity,” Sainz said in a team statement. “It was not an easy day and the nerves were definitely there. In the end though, it all went smoothly and there were no major issues. I enjoyed the work and tried to do my best in terms of giving feedback to the team.
“It’s a big boost for my self-confidence, but I’m 18 years old, still very young and still learning. There’s a long way to go.”
Sainz is currently racing in GP3 for Arden, claiming one podium and two fastest laps so far this season. As a part of the Red Bull programme, the Spanish youngster could be in line to join Toro Rosso in the not-too-distant future should he continue to put in such impressive performances.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52