Jul 19, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Carlos Sainz Jr. has thanked Red Bull for giving him the opportunity to test at Silverstone this week, believing that his self-confidence has been boosted following some strong performances.
Sainz, whose father is a legend in rallying, finished an excellent 4th for Red Bull today at Silverstone just over half a tenth off defending world champion Sebastian Vettel. However, he is refusing to get carried away with the result.
“This has been an incredible opportunity,” Sainz said in a team statement. “It was not an easy day and the nerves were definitely there. In the end though, it all went smoothly and there were no major issues. I enjoyed the work and tried to do my best in terms of giving feedback to the team.
“It’s a big boost for my self-confidence, but I’m 18 years old, still very young and still learning. There’s a long way to go.”
Sainz is currently racing in GP3 for Arden, claiming one podium and two fastest laps so far this season. As a part of the Red Bull programme, the Spanish youngster could be in line to join Toro Rosso in the not-too-distant future should he continue to put in such impressive performances.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 1
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 1
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 3
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10