Jul 19, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
Carlos Sainz Jr. has thanked Red Bull for giving him the opportunity to test at Silverstone this week, believing that his self-confidence has been boosted following some strong performances.
Sainz, whose father is a legend in rallying, finished an excellent 4th for Red Bull today at Silverstone just over half a tenth off defending world champion Sebastian Vettel. However, he is refusing to get carried away with the result.
“This has been an incredible opportunity,” Sainz said in a team statement. “It was not an easy day and the nerves were definitely there. In the end though, it all went smoothly and there were no major issues. I enjoyed the work and tried to do my best in terms of giving feedback to the team.
“It’s a big boost for my self-confidence, but I’m 18 years old, still very young and still learning. There’s a long way to go.”
Sainz is currently racing in GP3 for Arden, claiming one podium and two fastest laps so far this season. As a part of the Red Bull programme, the Spanish youngster could be in line to join Toro Rosso in the not-too-distant future should he continue to put in such impressive performances.
Video from NASCAR America
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 2
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0