Jul 19, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
Carlos Sainz Jr. has thanked Red Bull for giving him the opportunity to test at Silverstone this week, believing that his self-confidence has been boosted following some strong performances.
Sainz, whose father is a legend in rallying, finished an excellent 4th for Red Bull today at Silverstone just over half a tenth off defending world champion Sebastian Vettel. However, he is refusing to get carried away with the result.
“This has been an incredible opportunity,” Sainz said in a team statement. “It was not an easy day and the nerves were definitely there. In the end though, it all went smoothly and there were no major issues. I enjoyed the work and tried to do my best in terms of giving feedback to the team.
“It’s a big boost for my self-confidence, but I’m 18 years old, still very young and still learning. There’s a long way to go.”
Sainz is currently racing in GP3 for Arden, claiming one podium and two fastest laps so far this season. As a part of the Red Bull programme, the Spanish youngster could be in line to join Toro Rosso in the not-too-distant future should he continue to put in such impressive performances.
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)