Jul 19, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Williams’ reserve driver Susie Wolff has called today’s test a “fantastic experience” as she took a step towards gaining her FIA superlicense required to race in Formula One.
Wolff completed 89 laps in the FW35 car today, posting a fastest time of 1:35.093 that was good enough to see her finish 9th of out sixteen runners at Silverstone. However, she did admit that the test was physically challenging.
“It was fantastic today,” Wolff explained in a team statement. “The team did a great job getting me through the day, talking me through everything step by step.
“Physically it wasn’t easy, but it was what I was expecting. I was well prepared so it was completely manageable.”
On the whole, Wolff was delighted to have completed the test for Williams.
“It was a fantastic experience.”
Williams’ chief engineer Xevi Pujolar was full of praise for Wolff following her work today.
“Susie did a great job for us today,” Pujolar said. “Overall we have had a successful test, gathering lots of data to take back to the wind tunnel and have some experience to know what to expect from the tyres in Budapest.”
Wolff’s test also marks an important step forward for women in motorsport as she looks to become the first full-time female driver in the sport.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)