Jul 20, 2013, 1:11 PM EDT
Multiple major categories such as Formula One, the IZOD IndyCar Series and the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series are taking this weekend off, but the American Le Mans Series will be on the throttle at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park outside Toronto.
Preparations began this morning for Sunday’s Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix (Race Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes), and the Muscle Milk Pickett Racing team of Lucas Luhr and Klaus Graf (pictured) picked up where they left off two weeks ago at Lime Rock Park in Connecticut. The duo is out for their fourth consecutive ALMS victory, and Graf led today’s opening practice session with a time of 1 minute, 7.124 seconds in the No. 6 HPD ARX-03c.
In the P2 category, Mike Conway, subbing for the injured Ryan Briscoe, put the No. 552 Level 5 Motorsports HPD-ARX 03b at the top of the practice charts with a time of 1 minute, 11.272 seconds. Conway, who raced admirably in last weekend’s Honda Indy Toronto doubleheader, also led a “Promoter Test Day” on Friday at CTMP, so it would appear he is a threat for a class win in Canada.
Corvette Racing’s Antonio Garcia (1 minute, 16.227 seconds), BAR1 Motorsports’ Kyle Marcelli (1 minute, 11.838 seconds), and Alex Job Racing’s Jereon Bleekemolen led the Grand Touring, Prototype Challenge, and GT Challenge classes respectively in the session. Qualifying for tomorrow’s race will take place later this afternoon on the 2.46-mile road course, which has undergone a multi-million dollar renovation.
Its place on the major-league sports car landscape is yet to be determined as United SportsCar Racing continues to sort out its inaugural 2014 schedule. Track co-owner and accomplished Canadian racer Ron Fellows told the ALMS’ official website that he sees the chances of CTMP making the cut at “50-50.”
The track has been part of the ALMS schedule since the series’ inception in 1999.
Video from NASCAR America
- Bubba Wallace pays homage to NASCAR Hall of Famer Wendell Scott with encore win at Martinsville 0
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 3
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1