Jul 20, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
One part of the INDYCAR family is racing this weekend, as the Road to Indy’s Pro Mazda Championship is in Canada to serve as an undercard for the American Le Mans Series’ Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix.
Race 1 of the weekend went off today, with Team Pelfrey’s Spencer Pigot taking the victory by just .118 of a second over Andretti Autosport’s Shelby Blackstock after a tight battle in the closing moments. Series points leader Matthew Brabham finished third.
“After the restart, I was able to get a little bit of a jump but I couldn’t quite break the draft and I made a little mistake on the last lap and Shelby and I were side-by-side,” Pigot said. “In fact, I think he was a little bit ahead of me on the back straightaway and I was just able to hold the inside through Turn Eight. It was great racing.”
Both drivers had suffered through a tough doubleheader on the streets of Toronto one week before, making today even better for them.
“Shelby and I were joking around that it was such a turnaround from last weekend for both of us,” Pigot continued. “To be out fighting for the win was great and hopefully, we can do it again tomorrow.”
Pigot will start on pole for the second Pro Mazda race, which will take place Sunday afternoon following the ALMS main event.
- VIDEO: Vettel explains decision to not let Ricciardo past 4
- Chinese GP called two laps early after checkered flag mix-up 4
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” 17
- Hamilton makes it three with lights to flag victory in China 1
- WATCH LIVE: Can anyone spring a Shanghai surprise? 0
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)