Jul 20, 2013, 9:30 PM EST
One part of the INDYCAR family is racing this weekend, as the Road to Indy’s Pro Mazda Championship is in Canada to serve as an undercard for the American Le Mans Series’ Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix.
Race 1 of the weekend went off today, with Team Pelfrey’s Spencer Pigot taking the victory by just .118 of a second over Andretti Autosport’s Shelby Blackstock after a tight battle in the closing moments. Series points leader Matthew Brabham finished third.
“After the restart, I was able to get a little bit of a jump but I couldn’t quite break the draft and I made a little mistake on the last lap and Shelby and I were side-by-side,” Pigot said. “In fact, I think he was a little bit ahead of me on the back straightaway and I was just able to hold the inside through Turn Eight. It was great racing.”
Both drivers had suffered through a tough doubleheader on the streets of Toronto one week before, making today even better for them.
“Shelby and I were joking around that it was such a turnaround from last weekend for both of us,” Pigot continued. “To be out fighting for the win was great and hopefully, we can do it again tomorrow.”
Pigot will start on pole for the second Pro Mazda race, which will take place Sunday afternoon following the ALMS main event.
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 8
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2