Jul 20, 2013, 9:30 PM EST
One part of the INDYCAR family is racing this weekend, as the Road to Indy’s Pro Mazda Championship is in Canada to serve as an undercard for the American Le Mans Series’ Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix.
Race 1 of the weekend went off today, with Team Pelfrey’s Spencer Pigot taking the victory by just .118 of a second over Andretti Autosport’s Shelby Blackstock after a tight battle in the closing moments. Series points leader Matthew Brabham finished third.
“After the restart, I was able to get a little bit of a jump but I couldn’t quite break the draft and I made a little mistake on the last lap and Shelby and I were side-by-side,” Pigot said. “In fact, I think he was a little bit ahead of me on the back straightaway and I was just able to hold the inside through Turn Eight. It was great racing.”
Both drivers had suffered through a tough doubleheader on the streets of Toronto one week before, making today even better for them.
“Shelby and I were joking around that it was such a turnaround from last weekend for both of us,” Pigot continued. “To be out fighting for the win was great and hopefully, we can do it again tomorrow.”
Pigot will start on pole for the second Pro Mazda race, which will take place Sunday afternoon following the ALMS main event.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 0
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 27
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0