Jul 20, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
One part of the INDYCAR family is racing this weekend, as the Road to Indy’s Pro Mazda Championship is in Canada to serve as an undercard for the American Le Mans Series’ Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix.
Race 1 of the weekend went off today, with Team Pelfrey’s Spencer Pigot taking the victory by just .118 of a second over Andretti Autosport’s Shelby Blackstock after a tight battle in the closing moments. Series points leader Matthew Brabham finished third.
“After the restart, I was able to get a little bit of a jump but I couldn’t quite break the draft and I made a little mistake on the last lap and Shelby and I were side-by-side,” Pigot said. “In fact, I think he was a little bit ahead of me on the back straightaway and I was just able to hold the inside through Turn Eight. It was great racing.”
Both drivers had suffered through a tough doubleheader on the streets of Toronto one week before, making today even better for them.
“Shelby and I were joking around that it was such a turnaround from last weekend for both of us,” Pigot continued. “To be out fighting for the win was great and hopefully, we can do it again tomorrow.”
Pigot will start on pole for the second Pro Mazda race, which will take place Sunday afternoon following the ALMS main event.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 0
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 0
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1