Jul 21, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Eric Boullier has admitted that he is doing everything in his power to keep Kimi Raikkonen at Lotus amidst Red Bull’s rumored advances for the Finnish driver.
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has openly shortlisted the 2007 world champion as a potential replacement for Mark Webber, but Boullier believes that Raikkonen is fully-aware of the pros and cons of making each decision.
“It’s clear that Lotus F1 Team is a desirable place to be and we know there’s been a lot of talk about Kimi’s future,” Boullier said on a team statement. “We all know that Kimi is an individual and he will make his decision in his own time.
“Naturally, we want him to continue in the sport and continue with Lotus F1 Team so we’re doing everything we can do to make that happen.”
Raikkonen joined Lotus as part of his comeback in 2012, finishing 3rd in the drivers’ championship with one win to his name. The Finnish driver, loved for his no-nonsense attitude, is competing with Daniel Ricciardo for the second seat at Red Bull following Mark Webber’s confirmation that he would be walking away from the sport at the end of the season.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR considers unveiling 2016 rules at Sprint All-Star Race in May 1
- Kyle Busch says Toyota teams are “idiots” by not working close together 7
- Brian France: State of NASCAR is in a good place and getting better 2
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Jarrett to join NASCAR coverage on NBC, NBCSN 4
- F1: Lotus releases images of its new Mercedes-powered E23 2
- NASCAR Media Tour begins today, but drivers still in idle 2
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. ponders a 24-hour NASCAR race 8