Jul 21, 2013, 4:36 PM EST
Austin Dillon now holds the lead in the NASCAR Nationwide Series’ STP 300 at Chicagoland Speedway following the second wave of pit stops, which took place under green conditions just after the halfway point. Elliott Sadler had been leading until a slow second stop for fuel cost him the lead when the cycle played out.
Pole sitter Sam Hornish Jr. led the first 49 laps of the race, but was penalized for speeding on pit road during his first stop of the afternoon. He was pushed back to 20th on the subsequent restart at Lap 53, but charged back into the Top 5 before he returned to the pits for service.
Hornish is looking to leapfrog Regan Smith in the championship standings this afternoon at the 1.5-mile oval in Joliet, Illinois. Smith, who started 13th this afternoon, is up to 10th on the track.
Video from NASCAR America
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 0
- WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 15