Jul 21, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
Austin Dillon now holds the lead in the NASCAR Nationwide Series’ STP 300 at Chicagoland Speedway following the second wave of pit stops, which took place under green conditions just after the halfway point. Elliott Sadler had been leading until a slow second stop for fuel cost him the lead when the cycle played out.
Pole sitter Sam Hornish Jr. led the first 49 laps of the race, but was penalized for speeding on pit road during his first stop of the afternoon. He was pushed back to 20th on the subsequent restart at Lap 53, but charged back into the Top 5 before he returned to the pits for service.
Hornish is looking to leapfrog Regan Smith in the championship standings this afternoon at the 1.5-mile oval in Joliet, Illinois. Smith, who started 13th this afternoon, is up to 10th on the track.
Video from NASCAR America
- Gene Haas’ F1 team changes team name, launches new pages 3
- Cindric proposes IndyCar champion Will Power will run No. 1 in 2015 2
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 1
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 3
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 5
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1