Jul 21, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
Austin Dillon now holds the lead in the NASCAR Nationwide Series’ STP 300 at Chicagoland Speedway following the second wave of pit stops, which took place under green conditions just after the halfway point. Elliott Sadler had been leading until a slow second stop for fuel cost him the lead when the cycle played out.
Pole sitter Sam Hornish Jr. led the first 49 laps of the race, but was penalized for speeding on pit road during his first stop of the afternoon. He was pushed back to 20th on the subsequent restart at Lap 53, but charged back into the Top 5 before he returned to the pits for service.
Hornish is looking to leapfrog Regan Smith in the championship standings this afternoon at the 1.5-mile oval in Joliet, Illinois. Smith, who started 13th this afternoon, is up to 10th on the track.
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 2
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 2
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 10
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 4
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 54