Jul 21, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Lotus reserve driver Davide Valsecchi believes that there is a noticeable difference in the new Pirelli tires after testing them at Silverstone this week.
The verdict on the new tires has been largely split so far. Sebastian Vettel claims that he has not noticed much of a change, whilst Pastor Maldonado reckons there is a big difference. For Valsecchi though, his conclusions are only based on half a day of testing during pre-season.
“It wasn’t easy giving comparative feedback as I only ran for half a day in Barcelona using the original specification 2013 tyres,” Valsecchi explained on Lotus’ official website.
However, the Italian driver believes that the tires may be slower but longer-lasting.
“The data suggests that maybe the newer tyres are a little slower, but to be sure of that we would need one of the race drivers with the car in qualifying configuration. We weren’t in qualifying configuration and it was Davide Valsecchi and not Kimi or Romain today! My thoughts are that maybe they’re a little slower, but last a little longer; the engineers will be able to give you a better answer.”
Valsecchi will continue in the test driver role for Lotus for the foreseeable future, completing work on their simulator to aid Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean’s efforts on-track this season.
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 1
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 2
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
- Who is better off? 2013 vs 2014 F1 points comparison 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (11)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)