Jul 22, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Dreamworks Animation’s new film “Turbo” made the podium in its first weekend after released, with $21.5 million grossed according to Yahoo! Movies. It ranked third behind “Despicable Me 2” at just more than $25 million, and “The Conjuring,” the weekend box office winner with more than $41.5 million grossed.
Forbes called “Turbo’s” weekend “slightly face-saving” despite recording it as Dreamworks Animation’s lowest grossing opening weekend since “Flushed Away” in 2006 ($18 million). Projections could still see “Turbo” as high as $300 million, particularly because of the merchandising potential and appeal of the titular character.
As we wrote last week, “Turbo’s” success at the box office will not be dictated by the racing community, who are already passionate and engaged about the Indianapolis 500 and the IZOD IndyCar Series. It will be a commercial success based on how many families see it outside of the racing-specific niche audience, and could be converted into fans from how the movie portrays the series on the whole.
The next IndyCar race at Mid-Ohio will see the Sunoco/ “Turbo” car in action once again, back for the fourth of four races scheduled for Indianapolis 500 champion Tony Kanaan’s No. 11 KV Racing Technology – SH Chevrolet.
- IndyCar: Will high grip and high tempers equal high drama at Barber? 0
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
- Swan Racing restructures, splits up two-car Sprint Cup operation 0
- It’s official: Redskins QB RG III to drive pace car at Richmond for Saturday’s Sprint Cup race 2
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 7
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (12)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)