Jul 23, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
The IZOD IndyCar Series is in the midst of a needed – if perhaps ill-timed – break after a stretch of nine races in nine weekends, with only one off weekend (June 28-30) in-between the end of May and July 12-14 in Toronto.
So while news is at a bit of a crawl, there’s still a few other tidbits to note:
- Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing has made a not unexpected engineering change to Graham Rahal’s No. 15 Dallara-Honda. Gerry Hughes has been reassigned to be the team’s Head of Development, with ex-Dragon Racing hand Neil Fife stepping in as Rahal’s new engineer. The team has also added Mitch Davis as crew chief to prepare both Rahal’s and James Jakes’ entries. Jakes will continue with engineer Eddie Jones. Both teams have struggled to nail the setup this season, with only sporadic leading pace and results.
- Alex Tagliani in a beaver suit? Believe it. The affable Canadian of Barracuda Racing will don a beaver costume and ride around the Indiana State Fair on a tricycle after a two-week online charity fundraiser versus Scott Dixon. Tagliani raised nearly for $6,000 Anaphyaxis Canada, an organization that helps people with life-threatening allergies, in the Power of 2 initiative. He was second to Dixon’s $7,036, which was raised for two groups that focus on cancer-stricken young people (CanTeen and Teens Living with Cancer). More details here from the official IndyCar website.
- WIX Filters will join the joint DRR – SH Global Rallycross effort at the 2013 X Games in Los Angeles. The program was announced in June but driver and car details have yet to be determined for the IndyCar team that’s currently on hiatus from full-time participation.
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0
- Report: Roger Penske intends to keep his ‘four aces’ in IndyCar 0
- Mario Andretti gets Jay Leno up to speed — and then some 1
- NHRA: Antron Brown looks to make Top Fuel fireworks this weekend 1
- MAVTV 500: Despite being nerve-racking to crazy, drivers glad safety won out 2
- WATCH: IndyCar’s frantic, thrilling MAVTV 500 to re-air at midnight ET on NBCSN 6
- Nelson Piquet Jr crowned first ever FIA Formula E champion in thrilling London finale 1