Danica Patrick prepares for first Brickyard 400

Jul 24, 2013, 3:15 PM EST

NASCAR Sprint Cup Showdown - Qualifying Getty Images

When Danica Patrick made her Indianapolis 500 debut in 2005, she quickly asserted herself as a contender and could have won the race if not for fuel woes that forced her to slow down in the final laps. Not many are expecting her to have as memorable a run in her first Brickyard 400 this weekend, but the Sprint Cup rookie is still looking forward to returning to Indy.

“I don’t care what I drive around Indy, I love being there,” said Patrick, who finished 35th in last year’s inaugural NASCAR Nationwide Series race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. “I just like everything about it. I like the facility, obviously. And, to me, the special thing about Indy is, obviously, I’ve had great experiences, but it’s about the track.

“It doesn’t matter what kind of car I drive there, I’ve had great experiences, memories. So that’s what I like so much about it. And I love the tradition. The older I get, the more I realize how much history and tradition plays a role in what’s important and what matters and what means the most to you.”

Patrick is aiming to become the first female competitor in Brickyard 400 history this weekend. Up to this point, the only other female that’s attempted to compete in an Cup race at IMS has been Shauna Robinson, who failed to qualify for the 2001 running.

Making the show would be another accomplishment at IMS for Patrick, who was a steady racer in her Indy 500 career. From 2005 to 2011, she notched six Top-10s in seven appearances in the world’s greatest race, and her third-place effort in 2009 stands as the best result for a woman in ‘500’ history.

For now at least, that chapter of her career is over. But Patrick’s respect for Indy is still very much evident.

“I just feel like I’ve had a lot of different experiences here that can help me and, again, it’s just a special place where I feel like from the beginning I’ve always really believed that you have to show this track respect, and it will hopefully show you the respect back,” she said.

“I’ve always thought that and, especially in IndyCar, this place can bite you pretty big. I don’t think it’s too much different in a stock car, to be honest. It’s just a very familiar place.”

Latest Posts
  1. Alonso digs at “science fiction” as crash saga rumbles on

Mar 6, 2015, 4:00 PM EST

AUTO-F1-ESP-TEST-MCLAREN Getty Images

Alonso makes light of media reports suggesting that he thought it was 1995 following his crash in pre-season testing.

2. GP2: Robert Visoiu moves up from GP3 with Rapax

Mar 6, 2015, 3:00 PM EST

© GP3 Series © GP3 Series

Romanian driver to race alongside Sergey Sirotkin in 2015.

3. Sebastian Vettel first discussed Ferrari move back in 2008

Mar 6, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

F1 Testing In Jerez - Day One Getty Images

German driver reveals that he held secret talks with Ferrari following the 2012 season, but has only made the move to Maranello for 2015.

4. GP3: Six more drivers announced on a busy Friday

Mar 6, 2015, 1:00 PM EST

_G7C0817

ART, Koiranen and Jenzer all announce drivers ahead of pre-season testing.

5. Grosjean keen to remind F1 paddock of his ability in 2015

Mar 6, 2015, 12:05 PM EST

AUTO-PRIX-F1-ESP-TEST Getty Images

Frenchman hopes to make up for a difficult 2014 campaign that yielded just eight points in total.

6. F1 2015 team preview: Scuderia Ferrari

Mar 6, 2015, 11:00 AM EST

AUTO-F1-ESP-TEST-FERRARRI Getty Images

A revolution has taken place at Maranello over the winter following Ferrari’s worst F1 performance in over 20 years.

7. FIA considering tender for new Formula 1 teams

Mar 6, 2015, 10:00 AM EST

Formula E Championship In Buenos Aires - Jean Todt Press Conference Getty Images

Gene Haas may not be alone in bringing a new team into F1 in the near future.

8. Manor in “advanced discussion” with drivers over second seat

Mar 6, 2015, 9:00 AM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Russia - Previews Getty Images

After its remarkable comeback, the team is yet to confirm who its second driver will be in Australia.

9. Big Australian V8 Supercars shocker: Shane van Gisbergen heads to Triple Eight for 2016

Mar 5, 2015, 6:44 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

“The Giz” heads to V8SC’s biggest team in a three-year deal as the team’s third car.

10. IndyCar: Happy 20th birthday to Ganassi rising star Sage Karam

Mar 5, 2015, 5:23 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

“SK$” turns 20. Sage Karam will make his second IndyCar start at season-opening race in St. Petersburg.

11. Jean-Eric Vergne chasing “amazing” home win for Andretti at Miami ePrix

Mar 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EST

Formula E Championship - Buenos Aires Getty Images

JEV wants to clinch Andretti a home win when Formula E hits U.S. shores in Miami later this month.

12. More movements in GP2, GP3, Formula Renault 3.5 for 2015