Jul 24, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
It looks like James Davison will make his IZOD IndyCar Series debut at the next round at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
There hasn’t been an official confirmation from the Dale Coyne Racing team, but Davison tweeted Tuesday he was getting a seat fitting at DCR’s Chicago shop and later in the day Marshall Pruett reported for RACER.com that Davison’s debut was a done deal. Davison tested for the team at Mid-Ohio last month as potential preparation for this opportunity.
One of the quickest shoes in Firestone Indy Lights for a few years, Davison has two prior wins at Mid-Ohio in back-to-back years (2008 and 2009). The first was of the unconventional variety when another competitor peeled into the pits on the final lap, with the second a more normal dominant romp from pole position.
Two drivers have made their IndyCar debut in Mid-Ohio in recent years, Martin Plowman in 2011 and Francesco Dracone in 2010. It’s also been a haven for one-off rides with Giorgio Pantano (2012), Simon Pagenaud (2011), Adam Carroll (2010) and Paul Tracy (2009) all making last-minute cameos at the Lexington, Ohio circuit.
Coyne’s No. 18 Honda may have as many as five drivers in the last five weekends this season. Mike Conway (Houston) and Pippa Mann are already confirmed, and a mix of drivers who have been linked to Coyne or are currently on the sidelines are likely to fill the void the other two weekends (Sonoma and Baltimore).
Video from NASCAR America
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 1
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 3
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0