Jul 25, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
After it was announced earlier this week that the Austrian Grand Prix would be returning to the Formula One calendar in 2014, many of the drivers have been quick to welcome its comeback ahead of the race in neighboring Hungary this weekend.
In the drivers’ press conference, Kimi Raikkonen, Paul di Resta and Esteban Gutierrez all praised the decision to bring the race back although Raikkonen was the only driver present who had raced on the circuit in an F1 car back in 2003. However, the Finn explained how he was a fan of the circuit.
“I was there maybe two years ago or something the last time,” Raikkonen explained. “It looks slightly different. The circuit is exactly the same, I think. It’s a nice place to go, I think. It’s not a very difficult circuit because it hasn’t got many corners, but it usually produces very good racing because of the layout of the straights and the tight corners. I’m more than happy to go back there.”
Paul di Resta is looking forward to tackling a new event next season having never raced at the circuit before.
“A new event, yeah. I’ve never been there so I don’t know what to expect but it looks a very good track from what Kimi said.”
Esteban Gutierrez, who was just 11 years old when the last Austrian GP was held, is also looking forward to a fresh challenge.
“It looks interesting, obviously another track, hard to know what to expect but it’s always interesting to go to a new place,” the Mexican driver said.
The Red Bull Ring is expected to welcome F1 in July next season, possibly causing the calendar swell to as many as 22 races.
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 0
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 0
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1