Jul 25, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Don’t bet on McLaren pulling off its sixth win in seven years at the Hungarian Grand Prix this weekend. But if they’ve made ground from the Silverstone test last week and have their car work better with the revised construction Pirellis this weekend, a solid result might not be out of the question.
The German weekend was a successful one for Jenson Button and Sergio Perez. For only the third time this season, and first since Spain in May, were both McLaren drivers in the points.
“Of course, a win in 2013 is going to be difficult, but I actually think the team is working very well right now,” Button said in the team’s advance release. “In Germany, our tire-usage, strategy and management of the race was as good as it’s ever been. It would be good to have a car with a little more pace to enable those calls to have a bit more impact at the front of the pack, but, for the moment, we can be satisfied by doing the best possible job in qualifying and on Sunday afternoon.”
Button is a two-time Hungary winner, with an authoritative triumph in 2011 and his first ever Grand Prix win in the wet-dry Hungarian Grand Prix of 2006.
Perez has failed to score in two prior Hungary starts, but does have a GP2 podium on his resume here. Not that that means anything other than he’s due.
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 0
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 1
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 3
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)