Jul 25, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Mazda will restore diesel power to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the track debut of the Mazda6 SKYACTIV-D Clean Diesel racecar.
It’s the first time IMS will have a diesel-powered car since the 1952 Indianapolis 500, the Cummins Diesel Special, according to historians (photo via Mazda).
The all-new SKYACTIV-D Clean Diesel engine in the all-new Mazda6 is a true production based engine. The engine is 51% stock by parts count, and 63% stock by weight. It’s part of the manufacturer’s ongoing pursuit to decrease weight, friction and aero drag, while seeking to increase fuel economy.
There have been two Mazda6 cars entered for the full 2013 GRAND-AM Rolex Series season. Efforts prepared by SpeedSource (No. 70) and Visit Florida Racing (No. 00) have won the last four races in a row in the series’ new GX class for new or experimental technologies.
“We are about to bring clean diesel to one of the most famous proving grounds in the world, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Being students of motorsports heritage, it wasn’t lost on us that the last diesel to compete at Indy, a Cummins, made a strong impact in the 1950’s, hence our interest in looking at the state of the art from the past with our latest innovation,” said John Doonan, Motorsports Director, Mazda North American Operations.
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 0
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
- Ricciardo Australian GP disqualification upheld by FIA 3
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- Clint Bowyer hits ‘white-of-your-eyes-fast’ speed of 217 mph in tire test at Michigan (13)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)