Jul 25, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
The Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps are known more for their open-wheel races than sports car ones. But it’ll be a fleet of prototype and GT cars gracing their hallowed grounds this weekend.
IMS plays host to GRAND-AM’s Rolex Series and Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge on the track’s infield road course, formerly used for Formula One and still used by MotoGP. GRAND-AM was added to the docket last year as part of the inaugural IMS “Super Weekend.” Rolex will run a three-hour race to wrap its three-race North American Endurance Championship, with the Conti series a two-hour, 30-minute affair.
Sebastien Bourdais and Alex Popow (Starworks Motorsport, Daytona Prototype) and Andy Lally and John Potter (Magnus Racing, GT) were the initial Rolex winners, but the race was marred by the second Starworks’ car, driven by Ryan Dalziel and Enzo Potolicchio, taken out by Juan Pablo Montoya in the race.
A year later, Potolicchio bolted from Starworks to start his own team, 8Star Motorsports. He’ll drive one of two Corvette DPs, and has just signed Bourdais to the second. They’re among a field of 16 DPs that also includes Tony Kanaan (Ganassi), Rubens Barrichello (Doran) and AJ Allmendinger (Shank) in one-off entries. Here’s the full Rolex and Conti entry lists.
Meanwhile at Spa, the Blancpain Endurance Series, a popular European championship that features FIA GT3-spec machinery and largely Pro-Am driver lineups, will race the Total 24 Hours of Spa. It’s less heralded than the 24 Hours of Le Mans but still regarded highly by the sports car community.
Consider you have Audi R8s, BMW Z4s, McLaren MP4-12Cs, Nissan GT-Rs, Porsche 911s, Ferrari 458s, Lamborghini LFPs, Mercedes SLS AMG 63s, and Aston Martin Vantages among those racing… and that’s just the first page of the entry list. You can see the full entry list here.
For more information, go to the official race website.
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 0
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 2
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 3
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)