Jul 26, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Three-time Hungarian Grand Prix winner Lewis Hamilton has explained how Mercedes are on the back foot this weekend after missing the tire test at Silverstone last week.
Mercedes were banned from the test after holding their own private test with Pirelli in May, and despite this setback Hamilton is still optimistic of a good weekend.
“We got a lot of laps in on the new tires today which was positive and gives us a lot of information to look at and take into our programme for the weekend,” Hamilton said in a statement.
“We came into the weekend on the back foot a little without experiencing the new tires. The balance feels different and we need to work on the right set up but we learned over the course of the day, made some changes and will make more for tomorrow.”
The 2008 world champion refused to make any predictions for the race itself, although he did acknowledge the pace of his rivals as Red Bull dominated practice on Friday.
“It’s difficult to know how the weekend will go for us. Others look quick here but we can generally pull a bit more out in qualifying so let’s see how tomorrow goes.”
Mercedes have struggled at the particularly hot races so far this season with Nico Rosberg falling from 1st to 9th at the Bahrain Grand Prix, and as temperatures are expected to soar on Sunday, the team could be in for a difficult race on Sunday.
- VIDEO: Vettel explains decision to not let Ricciardo past 1
- Chinese GP called two laps early after checkered flag mix-up 1
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” 8
- Hamilton makes it three with lights to flag victory in China 0
- WATCH LIVE: Can anyone spring a Shanghai surprise? 0
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)