Jul 26, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
Former Indianapolis 500 winner Juan Pablo Montoya led the first day of practice for the Sprint Cup Series at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Montoya, who also competed in five Formula One United States Grand Prix at IMS, turned in a hot lap of 185.410 miles per hour in the No. 42 Earnhardt-Ganassi Racing Chevrolet.
That was well ahead of Kurt Busch in the No. 78 Furniture Row Racing Chevrolet, who posted the second-quickest time on Friday with a lap at 184.347 mph. Austin Dillon, fresh off his victory Wednesday night at Eldora in the Camping World Truck Series, hit P3 with a lap at 183.944 mph in the No. 33 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet.
Former Brickyard 400 winner Paul Menard was fourth-quickest (183.700 mph) in another RCR Chevy, the No. 27, and Hendrick Motorsports’ Kasey Kahne was fifth on the charts in the No. 5 Chevy (183.640 mph).
Penske Racing’s Joey Logano led the Fords with the sixth-quickest lap (183.337 mph), while Michael Waltrip Racing’s Martin Truex Jr. led the Toyota camp with his lap (182.567 mph), which was good for eighth overall. Defending race winner Jimmie Johnson was 13th on Friday (181.591 mph).
The Cup contingent will have a two-hour final practice tomorrow at 9 a.m. ET. Qualifying for Sunday’s race will begin later that afternoon at 2:10 p.m. ET.
- CFH Racing looks to turn things around once again at Milwaukee 0
- Welcome back, Wilson: Englishman back with Andretti for rest of 2015 0
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 6
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 2
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0