Jul 26, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Former Indianapolis 500 winner Juan Pablo Montoya led the first day of practice for the Sprint Cup Series at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Montoya, who also competed in five Formula One United States Grand Prix at IMS, turned in a hot lap of 185.410 miles per hour in the No. 42 Earnhardt-Ganassi Racing Chevrolet.
That was well ahead of Kurt Busch in the No. 78 Furniture Row Racing Chevrolet, who posted the second-quickest time on Friday with a lap at 184.347 mph. Austin Dillon, fresh off his victory Wednesday night at Eldora in the Camping World Truck Series, hit P3 with a lap at 183.944 mph in the No. 33 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet.
Former Brickyard 400 winner Paul Menard was fourth-quickest (183.700 mph) in another RCR Chevy, the No. 27, and Hendrick Motorsports’ Kasey Kahne was fifth on the charts in the No. 5 Chevy (183.640 mph).
Penske Racing’s Joey Logano led the Fords with the sixth-quickest lap (183.337 mph), while Michael Waltrip Racing’s Martin Truex Jr. led the Toyota camp with his lap (182.567 mph), which was good for eighth overall. Defending race winner Jimmie Johnson was 13th on Friday (181.591 mph).
The Cup contingent will have a two-hour final practice tomorrow at 9 a.m. ET. Qualifying for Sunday’s race will begin later that afternoon at 2:10 p.m. ET.
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 7
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 2
- Jay Mohr’s skewering monologue stars at NASCAR banquet (VIDEO) 1
- Todt re-elected as FIA President, plans “ambitious” second term 1
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)
- Mark Miles talks about the road ahead for IndyCar (8)