Jul 26, 2013, 5:39 AM EST
Sebastian Vettel has got his Hungarian Grand Prix weekend off to the best possible start by finishing quickest in the first free practice session at the Hungaroring on Friday.
The German driver has never won at the circuit before and many feared that this losing streak would continue as the conditions failed to suit the Red Bull car. However, Vettel responded in brilliant fashion by finishing quickest, closely followed by teammate Mark Webber which suggests that once again Red Bull will be hard to beat this weekend.
The dry and hot conditions saw teams stick to the medium compound as they practised long run simulations for the race on Sunday, and this session also gave teams a chance to get to grips with the new construction of the Pirelli tires ahead of qualifying tomorrow. Lewis Hamilton, Pastor Maldonado and Jean-Eric Vergne all had small off-track excursions as they struggled to get heat into their tires, but McLaren appeared to have found some pace by finishing 6th and 9th.
As expected, Ferrari and Lotus appear to look more comfortable in the hotter conditions with Fernando Alonso sitting on top of the timesheets for the majority of the session before Vettel, Webber and Kimi Raikkonen all moved ahead of him in the final part of the session.
At the back, Caterham seem to have the edge on Marussia as Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde finished ahead of Jules Bianchi and Rodolfo Gonzalez, with the latter deputizing for Max Chilton for this session only.
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 3
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 4
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 4
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 11