Jul 27, 2013, 7:59 PM EDT
Despite a sizable chunk of his 2013 campaign still missing sponsorship, Dale Earnhardt Jr. is choosing not to fret over the situation.
According to the Sporting News, Hendrick Motorsports has about a dozen races with NASCAR’s most popular driver left to sell this season after PepsiCo’s decision to scale back its sponsorship plan from 20 races to five races with Diet Mountain Dew.
But Earnhardt feels that there’s no cause for concern.
“Anybody who has got any sense about how the corporate world works knows that it’s too late into the season, too late in the year to expect to put together a package for the rest of the season that is going to turn into a multi-year deal,” he said on Friday. “It’s just all the dollars and cents are accounted for at this point in the year.
“That doesn’t mean we can’t put some things together and do some creative stuff with some people and some partners that we already have or whatever…It is important to try to fill out what we have this season and we will. I don’t have any doubt at all that we will get that done.
“I think we almost have to look forward beyond that to try to find out who is going to be the partner that we can put a long term deal together that matches up with what we want to do in the future.”
While that situation continues to evolve, Earnhardt is aiming to get himself squared away for the upcoming Chase. He sits a steady fifth in the standings and is in position to easily make NASCAR’s post-season run.
The Brickyard has not been a strong track for him in his Cup career; he has just one Top-5 finish in 13 starts there. On the other hand, that Top-5 run came in last year’s race, in which he finished fourth.
As for tomorrow’s 20th anniversary running of the Brickyard 400, he’s slated to go off from 15th.
“We would have liked to run a little bit better than that,” he said after his qualifying run today. “The guys did a good job. They made a lot of changes during practice…We just struggled all day in qualifying trim and the guys made some good changes.
“We like the speed in race trim. We’ll have to go back to the hauler and talk a lot about the things we can do.”
- It’s official: Redskins QB RG III to drive pace car at Richmond for Saturday’s Sprint Cup race 1
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 5
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 3
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (12)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)