Jul 27, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Reports from the Hungaroring this morning suggest that the Dubai Autodrome will host two pre-season tests next season as part of a change to the regular schedule after rain disrupted the teams’ preparations this year.
According to British broadcaster Sky Sports, a deal has been reached to take Formula One to Dubai for the first time in an attempt to give teams ideal conditions in which to test in. In recent years, the scheduled pre-season tests have all taken place in Spain at the Circuit de Catalunya near Barcelona and Jerez de la Frontera. Although these circuits do provide a good test for the drivers and cars, the weather has proven problematic and this affected many of the teams ahead of the opening round in Australia this year.
As reported by NBC over six weeks ago, the Dubai Autodrome expressed an interest in holding at least one test in order to increase F1′s popularity in the Gulf region. With Bahrain and Abu Dhabi currently hosting grands prix, the region is quickly becoming a hot-bed for Formula One, although it may not be so popular with the fans in Europe who like to attend pre-season testing as a cheaper alternative to grands prix.
This news also suggests that Bahrain could be in line to host the opening round of the 2014 season with teams travelling from Dubai to the Sakhir International Circuit in the middle of March.
- It’s official: Redskins QB RG III to drive pace car at Richmond for Saturday’s Sprint Cup race 1
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 5
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 3
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (12)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)