Jul 27, 2013, 6:13 AM EDT
Romain Grosjean ended Red Bull’s clean sweep of the timesheets in practice for the Hungarian Grand Prix by finishing quickest in FP3 on Saturday morning at the Hungaroring.
The Lotus driver took advantage of the warm track conditions to post the fastest lap in the dying stages of the session as the teams switched to the soft tire in order to practise for qualifying following their fuelled runs on the harder compound, with Lewis Hamilton impressing many during this part of the session.
Red Bull, who had sealed 1-2 finishes in both FP1 and FP2, failed to repeat their form as Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber could only manage 4th and 7th respectively. Vettel’s closest challenger in the drivers’ championship, Fernando Alonso, ran well on the soft tire to finish P2 behind Grosjean with his Ferrari teammate Felipe Massa finishing 5th.
Sergio Perez produced a good performance to finish 3rd but his session came to an end with a couple of minutes remaining after a crash at turn eleven that saw him finish in the wall, leaving McLaren with a busy two hour period before qualifying later today. However, the problems were even worse for Perez’s compatriot, Esteban Gutierrez, who failed to set a time due to a gearbox due to an engine issue.
- Dixon’s latest title a story of consistency, comeback, typical “Ice Man” cool 0
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 16
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 15
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 3
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2