Jul 27, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Mark Webber’s hopes of winning a second Hungarian Grand Prix have received a severe blow after an electrical problem on his car forced him to sit out Q3 and the Red Bull driver will start 10th tomorrow as a result.
Webber reported a problem with his gearbox during FP3 which later turned out to be an electrical issue, eventually causing him to lose KERS at the beginning of Q2. The Australian driver scraped into the final session in P7 before getting out of the car and failing to set a time during Q3.
“That was a massively disappointing qualifying session,” Webber said in a statement from Red Bull after qualifying. “Obviously we had a lot of issues with the car and we left a lot of lap time in the garage, with items which weren’t working on the car at their optimum. We had no KERS, and a basic gearbox setting that we couldn’t get out of, which cost a lot of lap time.”
Webber was happy with his own performance but he explained how it counted for very little in light of the technical problems.
“I was happy with how I drove, but it doesn’t count in qualifying when you need everything at the absolute limit. Instead of challenging for the front row, we were challenging for the last row of Q3.
“We’re out of position with a car that is capable of much more, but I didn’t have the car today to challenge for the results I thought we could get.”
Webber will have a free choice of starting tire for the race tomorrow having not set a time in Q3, but this will provide little comfort for the Australian driver after running so strongly during practice on Friday.
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 0
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 0
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 5
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0
- Hinchcliffe released from hospital, expected to make full recovery (VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit 0