Jul 27, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT
Charles Pic is pleased that Caterham have established such a sizeable gap over closest-rivals Marussia during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix today at the Hungaroring.
Pic will line up 19th on the grid ahead of his teammate Giedo van der Garde, with the impressive feat being that he finished over seven-tenths ahead of Marussia’s leading driver Jules Bianchi and almost one second ahead of Max Chilton.
“In Q1 our goal was to finish ahead of Marussia and we’ve achieved that with both cars, actually with a bigger gap than we’ve seen for a while, so I’m pleased with how the session went,” Pic explained in a team statement after qualifying.
Further to that, Pic is confident that if he can look after his tires he will be able to challenge some of the drivers in the midfield with Sauber and Williams both struggling to establish much of a gap to Caterham this season.
“Our deg levels have been pretty good on the mediums and we’ve already seen that we can push a couple of cars ahead in race conditions, so, even though the gap to the midfield is there, I’m already looking forward to a strong race tomorrow.”
Pic has emerged as the leading driver from the bottom two teams in recent races, but Marussia currently occupy P10 in the constructors’ championship by virtue of Jules Bianchi’s 13th place finish at the Malaysian Grand Prix.
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 8
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 8
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1