Jul 28, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Caterham will head into the summer break with a spring in their step following a strong performance at the Hungarian Grand Prix on Sunday.
Giedo van der Garde secured his best result of the season by finishing P14, just ahead of teammate Charles Pic as both drivers finished over one lap ahead of closest-rivals Marussia as the battle for P10 in the constructors’ championship intensifies.
“I’m really pleased with today’s race, for me that was the best race of the year and it’s great to put in a performance like that before we head off for the August break,” van der Garde said in a post-race statement.
“I think it shows that the plan we’d set for this season, about learning and improving race by race, is working as I was right on the pace we’d targeted until about six laps to go when the tires were pretty much gone.”
Charles Pic finished just 6.3 seconds behind his teammate, opting to run a two-stop strategy that saw him easily beat Jules Bianchi and Max Chilton in the Marussias.
“I had to make the tires last for the rest of the race, 32 laps in total, so I managed them as best I could and there wasn’t really anything more I could do today,” Pic said after the race.
Caterham still trail Marussia in the constructors’ championship by virtue of Jules Bianchi’s 13th place finish at the Malaysian Grand Prix, but their recent form suggests that this deficit could be overturned when Formula One returns after the summer break.
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 1