Jul 28, 2013, 10:42 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has explained how he was “hungry” to claim his first win of the season and first for Mercedes at today’s Hungarian Grand Prix, spurring him on to lead Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel across the line.
“I think you could tell I was hungry for it today,” Hamilton said on the podium after the race. “I was going all out.”
Hamilton explained how getting stuck in traffic was his biggest problem, but he was able to pull off some strong overtakes to ensure that he did not lose time unlike Sebastian Vettel, who was stuck behind Jenson Button for twelve laps of the race.
“I needed to get past those people, usually I got stuck. Today I wasn’t having it, I was going for every move I had.”
The Briton also believes that this is one of the most important wins of his career, being the first with his new team after joining Mercedes at the beginning of the season.
“I think this is probably one of the most important grand prix wins of my career. To go to a new team and win with Mercedes Benz is a real privilege, the guys did a great job. It’s an incredible feeling and my team did an incredible job.”
The win was Hamilton’s fourth at the Hungaroring, drawing him level with Michael Schumacher for the record number at the circuit. The result also sees the 2008 world champion draw close to Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso in the drivers’ championship, and a strong finish to the season could yet see him challenge Vettel for the title.
- What might happen to Tony Stewart when District Attorney’s review of Kevin Ward Jr. case is completed? 0
- Jeff Gordon makes strong ‘Drive For Five’ start, also has high praise for Kyle Larson in Chase opener 2
- Keselowski surges between Harvick, Larson to win Chase opener at Chicagoland 0
- For 16 Sprint Cup drivers, the time is here: ready, set, Chase 0
- Kyle Busch starts Truck race ticked-off, only to end up in victory lane at Chicagoland 1
- Joey Logano: ‘We’re ready’ to win Sprint Cup championship 1
- Kyle Busch ready to claim his ‘second’ Sprint Cup championship 2