Jul 28, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Busch, who rolls off sixth in today’s Brickyard 400 at IMS, obviously has making this year’s Chase as his top priority right now. But the former Sprint Cup champion is still very keen on tackling the ’500.’
“It’s something you want to do as a dream,” Busch said to NASCAR.com’s David Caraviello. “Sometimes you have to throw away common sense when you have a dream, and to go and do it. We’ll see if it turns out.”
Of course, should Busch decide to enter “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing,” that also means he’d have to run the Coca-Cola 600 in the stock cars later that day.
“A lot of guys would love to do [Indy], but there’s that 600-mile race you’ve got to do that same night,” Busch added. “So that’s the big focus for a stock-car guy.”
The Indy/Charlotte double has not been attempted since Robby Gordon ran both the ’500′ and ’600′ on the same day back in 2004. But Busch has shown several signs that he’s serious about doing it.
On May 9, Busch sampled what an IndyCar can do when he ran a test session in the No. 1 Andretti Autosport Chevrolet of Ryan Hunter-Reay. “The Outlaw” turned 83 laps with a fast lap at 218.210 miles per hour, and he also passed a simulated version of the Rookie Orientation Program that all ’500′ first-timers must go through in order to compete in the race.
He has also picked the brain of former ’500′ winner and current Nationwide Series competitor Sam Hornish Jr., who seems convinced that Busch will eventually experience what Indy is like in the month of May.
“He only went and did some practice this year, but I wouldn’t be too surprised to see him make it happen where he runs the Indy 500 in the next couple of years,” Hornish told NASCAR.com’s Caraviello.
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 0
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
- Ricciardo Australian GP disqualification upheld by FIA 3
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- Clint Bowyer hits ‘white-of-your-eyes-fast’ speed of 217 mph in tire test at Michigan (13)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)