Jul 28, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT
The 2013 Hungarian Grand Prix is set to be one of the hottest ever as temperatures pass a sweltering 100ºF on Sunday, meaning that the pressure will be on the drivers to stay cool and keep it on track if they are to head into the mid-season break with an extra win to their name.
Qualifying was a tight affair as Lewis Hamilton snatched pole position from Sebastian Vettel in the dying moments of Q3, setting the stage for a great battle between the two drivers at the Hungaroring. However, the likes of Romain Grosjean, Nico Rosberg, Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen will also be in the running despite not reaching the front row.
The top eight on the grid all qualified on the soft tire, and will therefore start on this compound for the race. 9th-placed Sergio Perez will start on the medium compound after setting his quickest Q3 time on this tire, whilst Mark Webber will have a free choice of starting rubber after failing to set a time in Q3.
As per usual, the drivers that dropped out in Q1 and Q2 will have a free choice of starting tire.
There have been no changes to the grid following qualifying yesterday.
Provisional grid for the Hungarian Grand Prix
1 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull
3 Romain Grosjean Lotus
4 Nico Rosberg Mercedes
5 Fernando Alonso Ferrari
6 Kimi Raikkonen Lotus
7 Felipe Massa Ferrari
8 Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso
9 Sergio Perez McLaren
10 Mark Webber Red Bull
11 Adrian Sutil Force India
12 Nico Hulkenberg Sauber
13 Jenson Button McLaren
14 Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso
15 Pastor Maldonado Williams
16 Valtteri Bottas Williams
17 Esteban Gutierrez Sauber
18 Paul di Resta Force India
19 Charles Pic Caterham
20 Giedo van der Garde Caterham
21 Jules Bianchi Marussia
22 Max Chilton Marussia
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory 3
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 0
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 40
- 2015 Indy 500 driver-by-driver one-liners 0
- Bell: “Carb Day is many things to many people; mine was many jobs” 0
- Hamilton storms to first Monaco GP pole position 1
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari in final practice for Monaco GP 0