Jul 28, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Mark Webber believes that finishing 4th is the best result he could have wished for in today’s Hungarian Grand Prix after the Australian driver made good use of his strategy to make up for a poor qualifying display yesterday.
Webber started P10 on the medium tire and managed to lead the race in places, but he could not quite catch teammate Sebastian Vettel in the final stages of the race, forcing him to settle for P4. However, Webber does not believe the team could have done any better.
“I think we had the right strategy,” he said in a team statement after the race. “We knew there was a lot of pressure on getting a good first lap and I got some clear air, which worked well.
“I don’t think we could have got much more than that result today. The strategy was pretty solid and you have to pace the option tires until the end.”
The result does however see Red Bull extend their lead in the constructors’ championship by two points over Mercedes, taking their total lead to 79 points. Once again though, Webber proved his ability to fight through the field and fight with the likes of Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel despite being in his final season of racing.
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 0
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 4
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0
- Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit 3
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 6
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 4