Jul 28, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Mark Webber believes that finishing 4th is the best result he could have wished for in today’s Hungarian Grand Prix after the Australian driver made good use of his strategy to make up for a poor qualifying display yesterday.
Webber started P10 on the medium tire and managed to lead the race in places, but he could not quite catch teammate Sebastian Vettel in the final stages of the race, forcing him to settle for P4. However, Webber does not believe the team could have done any better.
“I think we had the right strategy,” he said in a team statement after the race. “We knew there was a lot of pressure on getting a good first lap and I got some clear air, which worked well.
“I don’t think we could have got much more than that result today. The strategy was pretty solid and you have to pace the option tires until the end.”
The result does however see Red Bull extend their lead in the constructors’ championship by two points over Mercedes, taking their total lead to 79 points. Once again though, Webber proved his ability to fight through the field and fight with the likes of Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel despite being in his final season of racing.
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- Stewart: There’s “a lot of potential” for Danica Patrick (9)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)