Jul 28, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Mark Webber believes that finishing 4th is the best result he could have wished for in today’s Hungarian Grand Prix after the Australian driver made good use of his strategy to make up for a poor qualifying display yesterday.
Webber started P10 on the medium tire and managed to lead the race in places, but he could not quite catch teammate Sebastian Vettel in the final stages of the race, forcing him to settle for P4. However, Webber does not believe the team could have done any better.
“I think we had the right strategy,” he said in a team statement after the race. “We knew there was a lot of pressure on getting a good first lap and I got some clear air, which worked well.
“I don’t think we could have got much more than that result today. The strategy was pretty solid and you have to pace the option tires until the end.”
The result does however see Red Bull extend their lead in the constructors’ championship by two points over Mercedes, taking their total lead to 79 points. Once again though, Webber proved his ability to fight through the field and fight with the likes of Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel despite being in his final season of racing.
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 3
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 4
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10