Jul 29, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Fernando Alonso still believes he can win the world championship despite losing his grip on second place in the standings at the Hungarian Grand Prix.
Alonso could only manage fifth in Hungary and saw Kimi Raikkonen pass him for second in the points standings.
However Alonso says the result was better than they expected at the beginning of the weekend: “Finishing fifth today, maybe we actually did better than what should have been within our grasp, because Mercedes, Lotus and Red Bull were quicker than us, a fact we had already seen from Friday’s practice.”
“This race ends what’s been a generally difficult month for us and, with Silverstone and Nurburgring, is part of a cycle where we were not up to par. However, looking at the points we have obtained, we haven’t lost out too much and today, Hamilton and Raikkonen helped us to keep the gap from growing too big to Vettel in the lead.
“Now, our aim is to work hard to arrive at Spa and Monza with a more competitive car. There are still nine races to go and the points available are more than enough. The team can do it and the potential is there, so I don’t see any reason why we can’t fight right to the end of the championship, as we have always done.”
Technical director Pat Fry said Ferrari had been prepared for a ‘difficult cycle of races’ in July but they must be prepared to strike back after the August break: “Even if we have managed to limit the damage, now we need to make significant progress if we want to fight for the title.”
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 0
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 4
- WATCH LIVE: Malaysian GP live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 2:30a ET 0
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 3