Jul 29, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
As the IZOD IndyCar Series heads for the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course this weekend, it’s all hands on deck between 20 of the 24 cars entered to knock Target Chip Ganassi Racing and/or Team Penske off their winning perch.
Since IndyCar returned to the track in 2007, Ganassi and Penske have swept all six races. Scott Dixon has won four of Ganassi’s five, with Dario Franchitti taking the checkered in 2010. Ryan Briscoe (2008 for Penske) is the lone non-Ganassi win in that stretch.
Dating back even further, since 1992, only three times has a driver outside of Ganassi and Penske won the race. The now-defunct Patrick Racing (Adrian Fernandez, 1998) and Player’s/Forsythe Racing (Patrick Carpentier, 2002 and Paul Tracy, 2003) were the other Mid-Ohio team winners.
But Penske (1992-95, 2000-01) and Ganassi (1996-97, 99) have taken the other victories. Combined since 1992, that’s 15 of the last 18 for these two (eight Ganassi, seven Penske).
Interestingly, Michael Andretti, who won twice at Mid-Ohio as a driver (1990-91), has never won this race as a team owner.
- NHRA: Beckman blazes to second Funny Car win of season at Kansas; Crampton, Enders-Stevens also win 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 2
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 6
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 4
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 52
- 2015 Indy 500 driver-by-driver one-liners 0