Jul 29, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Romain Grosjean’s objection to his penalty for overtaking Felipe Massa off the track during the Hungarian Grand Prix received support from an unlikely source.
Massa himself said Grosjean’s penalty was “wrong”. The Lotus driver passed the Ferrari around the outside of turn four but put all four wheels off the track while he did so.
“If he took the penalty because of what he did with me, that’s completely wrong,” said Massa, who believed Grosjean only put two wheels beyond the white line on the outside of the track.
The stewards ruled that: “In order to overtake [Massa], [Grosjean] left the track. This overtaking move would not otherwise have been possible”.
“I haven’t seen the footage yet and I thought it was a good move,” said Grosjean after the race, “but unfortunately the stewards took a different view”.
Lotus team principal Eric Boullier also believed the penalty was too severe: “The drive-through penalty cost him a far better result. He made a great move at a circuit where overtaking is difficult and he had no room to do anything else. For us the stewards’ decision was harsh.”
However Grosjean had no objections to the 20-second time penalty he was given after the race for colliding with Jenson Button, saying: “I’ve no problem with the time-added for the incident with Jenson and I apologized to him afterwards.”
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)