Jul 29, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Michael Andretti won twice at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course as a driver, in 1990 and 1991. He has yet to win as an owner. But he’s probably best remembered at the track for this barrel roll, which occurred in 1998.
Andretti was threading the needle between Patrick Carpentier‘s Player’s/Forsythe Racing Reynard-Mercedes and P.J. Jones‘ All American Racers Reynard-Toyota, but contacted Jones’ right front wheel. That sent him through the grass, in-between oncoming traffic heading into Turn 4 and into the gravel trap.
Mercifully and thankfully, Andretti emerged unhurt after the wild ride in his Newman/Haas Racing Swift-Ford. But it makes for one of the most incredible pieces of video in Mid-Ohio history.
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 3
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tops quiet second Monaco GP practice 0
- Hamilton quickest in opening practice for Monaco GP 0
- James Hinchcliffe transferred out of ICU, full recovery expected 4