Jul 29, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Michael Andretti won twice at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course as a driver, in 1990 and 1991. He has yet to win as an owner. But he’s probably best remembered at the track for this barrel roll, which occurred in 1998.
Andretti was threading the needle between Patrick Carpentier‘s Player’s/Forsythe Racing Reynard-Mercedes and P.J. Jones‘ All American Racers Reynard-Toyota, but contacted Jones’ right front wheel. That sent him through the grass, in-between oncoming traffic heading into Turn 4 and into the gravel trap.
Mercifully and thankfully, Andretti emerged unhurt after the wild ride in his Newman/Haas Racing Swift-Ford. But it makes for one of the most incredible pieces of video in Mid-Ohio history.
- VIDEO: Vettel explains decision to not let Ricciardo past 0
- Chinese GP called two laps early after checkered flag mix-up 0
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” 3
- Hamilton makes it three with lights to flag victory in China 0
- WATCH LIVE: Can anyone spring a Shanghai surprise? 0
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)