Could Kurt Busch race in IndyCar season finale?

Jul 30, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT

Kurt Busch AP

The weekend of Oct. 19-20 could be a big one for Sprint Cup driver Kurt Busch.

MotorRacingNetwork.com’s Dustin Long reports that “The Outlaw” has given himself a “good possibility” of suiting up for the IZOD IndyCar Series’ season finale – the MAVTV 500 – on Saturday, Oct. 19 at Auto Club Speedway.

The next afternoon – Sunday, Oct. 20 – the Cup series goes racing at Talladega Superspeedway.

“We’re working on it,” Busch said yesterday according to Long during a Cup test session at Watkins Glen International. “We just have to keep our fingers crossed.”

On May 9, Busch tested for Andretti Autosport at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and this past weekend at the Brickyard 400, he reiterated his interest in running at next year’s Indianapolis 500.

However, he also said after the Andretti test that he’d prefer to do an IndyCar oval race before taking on the ‘500’ and that feeling hasn’t changed, either.

Sponsorship will be the key to getting Busch in an IndyCar at ACS, and Long reports that Busch said he’d feel “blind” at Indy in 2014 without first getting his feet wet at Fontana.

1. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - Jul 30, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Good idea

2. indycarseries500 - Jul 30, 2013 at 5:37 PM

He should’ve done Pocono, more similar to Indy and the Cup race the night before at Daytona was in the same time zone.

3. snoopyo - Jul 30, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I hope it works out for him that he can race at Fontana I think it will help INDYCAR get some more people in the seats and some more eyeballs to see what a great product this series has right now. I would much rather see Kurt then seeing Hornish or the princess come back.It will be interesting to see how long it takes him to adjust in these cars running in traffic.If Kurt does race and comes away with a top 10 in Fontana I would be very impressed but for him it will all be bout getting laps in to get more comfortable. I wonder what type of aero package they will bring to Fontana and see how he can handle that. I was hoping for Pocono they would have a package similar to INDY but I still enjoyed Pocono the Texas aero package was not good and a very boring race. After reading what he is saying I think he is very serious about racing in the 500 for next year. If its not next year then within the next 3 years

• lesovuls - Jul 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Snoopy not sure he would manage a top 10 with the talent level in Indycar now,no way. And certainly not Princess Sparkle Pony, she would get lapped by a golf cart on the way to the track

• snoopyo - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Les your right its a very very deep field probably the deepest I have seen since the mid to late 90s. There have been so many different winners this year and to think we are this late in the season and Power and Dario still have not won a race.

4. bmcgrath2 - Jul 30, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Anything with an engine baby. I respect the guys that want to race anything, and I hope this comes to fruition. Hopefully this turns some peoples heads, gets sponsors and more fans interested in all forms of motorsports, including INDYCAR.

5. ustabfast - Jul 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Kurt could be a good fit… if his taller frame will “Fit” in the car. At least he won’t be cherry picking in lower series as his brother is way too fond of doing.

I wonder if Smoke ever misses running both series? Too bad the schedules make that pretty well impossible.

• midtec2005 - Jul 31, 2013 at 11:05 PM

“if his taller frame will “Fit” in the car.”

How is this a question? He’s already tested the car, and Justin Wilson is taller.

6. indycar02 - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:45 PM

indycar!… I LIVE FOR THIS!…

Video from NASCAR America

Tony Stewart does well in return
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches