Jul 30, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Lewis Hamilton’s first win of the year in Hungary has given him renewed confidence that he can compete for the world championship this year.
Mercedes’ victory in the punishing heat of Hungary was a surprising result for a team which has struggled in hot conditions earlier this year.
Hamilton now believes he has a car he can compete for the title with: “It feels as if it’s there with the Red Bulls and the Lotuses,” he said after the race. “Our pace was very similar.”
“If we can continue with our qualifying pace, get ourselves up front and have the tires working as they did today we can fight with them.”
Hamilton believes he is in a strong position heading into the second half of the season with nine races remaining: “Last year I didn’t feel like I had the car to win ten races. This year I feel I have a car that can win ten races.”
“The tires are going to play a massive part but I truly believe in this car. It feels awesome.”
Hamilton lies fourth in the championship table with 48 points separating him from leader Vettel. Mercedes are Red Bull’s closest competitors in the constructors’ championship with 208 points to their rival’s 277.
Video from NASCAR America
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 0
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 2
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 5
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 10
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 14