Jul 30, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
I’m calling it now: Charlie Kimball is a top sleeper pick for this IZOD IndyCar Series race weekend at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
The Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing driver will be primed for a big weekend at the track after missing the race last year, due to a fractured right hand from a testing accident.
In his rookie year in 2011, Mid-Ohio was one of a handful of tracks where the personable Californian made an impact. He started 10th, ran in the top five all day and ended an unrepresentative 11th.
Earlier this year, Kimball led the three-car Ganassi contingent on pace and performance all weekend on the only other permanent road course raced thus far in 2013: Barber Motorsports Park. Kimball made his first Firestone Fast Six, ran in the top three all day after starting fifth and finished fourth after a gutsy pass on Will Power.
His teammate Scott Dixon, in the No. 9 Target Honda, is the odds-on favorite after winning four of the last six races at Mid-Ohio.
But given Kimball’s road course prowess, the improved Honda spec engines that have come to life the last few races and the gains made by the entire CGR team after its test at Sebring this summer, this could be a weekend where Kimball repeats his Barber efforts, and perhaps scores his second podium of the season.
A solid result could propel him into the top 10 in points, as he currently sits 11th, just one point behind Power.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 1
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 2
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 4
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3