Lauda thinks Port Imperial GP is off for 2014

Jul 30, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT

Sebastian Vettel AP

Believe who you want to believe about the status of the proposed second U.S. round of the Formula One World Championship for 2014, the Grand Prix of America at Port Imperial.

If the person you believe is Niki Lauda, then the race is off. Again.

Lauda, one of Bernie Ecclestone’s closest confidantes, told an Austrian TV station that the event organizers have run out of time to find the necessary $100 million to pay Formula One Management for the race.

“The New York Grand Prix in New Jersey that was supposed to take place this year, has not taken place because of a lack of money in America,” Lauda said. “As far as I know it has already been taken off the calendar again.”

A report from the Bergen Dispatch in New Jersey used the words “New Jersey dropped from 2014 calendar” in its headline, which isn’t yet accurate.

The official word on New Jersey’s status will come from Ecclestone and FOM before the event organizers.

1. indycarseries500 - Jul 30, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Well there is a sidewalk with trees growing in pit lane, I hope I’m wrong but I have a feeling we’ll never see it.

One good thing is that Lauda has a bit of a history of speaking out of turn.

2. wallio - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Has somebody checked in on purple? She must be borderline sucidial right now.

In all seriousness though, they added a second GP wayyyy too quick. Give Austin 5-6 years then expand and maybe it work. And like Austin put it at a proper track, not some lame street circuit. (Unless of course Bernie gets his night race on the Vegas strip. But that will NEVER happen).

3. apexassassin - Jul 31, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Fuck Austin. That’s a failure waiting to happen as I can’t see it growing beyond it’s inaugural popularity but if I’m proved wrong all the better.

As for NJ, what happened to UBS footing the bill?

• indycarseries500 - Aug 2, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Using Indy as the guide I think the US has a solid base of 80-100,000 people that’ll go to a race, I think that should be enough to keep state funding. The thing that worries me is a lot of the crowd at CotA was Mexican and who knows what it’ll look like if there’s ever another Mexican GP.

4. dms5150 - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:29 PM

There was a report a few weeks ago saying tickets for NJ/NY would be over $550 a piece. What a bunch of hogwash.

Video from NASCAR America