Jul 31, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Ferrari have conducted another test with their 2011 car as they work on the data correlation problems that have plagues them in recent seasons.
Testing with current cars is forbidden under F1′s rules. Ferrari used the F150° Italia chassis they raced two years ago in a test at Magny-Cours, the former home of the French Grand Prix.
It emerged during the FIA’s hearing into Mercedes’ illegal test for Pirelli that Ferrari ran tests using a 2011 car this season and the year before.
According to Autosport Ferrari cleared the test in advance with the FIA and are using Pirelli’s demonstration tires.
Ferrari also moved to quieten speculation about a rift between driver Fernando Alonso and president Luca di Montezemolo after the latter warned the former about critical comments made after the Hungarian Grand Prix.
“Di Montezemolo is the first to support our driver’s call to improve the car’s competitiveness as quickly as possible,” said a spokesperson. “He fully understands Fernando’s frustrations after what has been the most challenging race of the year. He is his chief supporter and has full trust in him.”
Earlier this week the team confirmed former Lotus technical director James Allison will join them in September as they bid to get on terms with their rivals.
- IndyCar: Will high grip and high tempers equal high drama at Barber? 0
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
- Swan Racing restructures, splits up two-car Sprint Cup operation 0
- It’s official: Redskins QB RG III to drive pace car at Richmond for Saturday’s Sprint Cup race 2
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 7
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (12)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)