Jul 31, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Ryan Hunter-Reay, winner of the last and thus far only IZOD IndyCar Series race on a permanent road course in 2013 (Barber Motorsports Park), led the timesheets in a series open test at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course on Wednesday.
As the 2.238-mile road course rubbered in and dried up from mixed conditions earlier in the day, times naturally improved. Hunter-Reay, in the No. 1 DHL Chevrolet for Andretti Autosport, got down to a 1:05.6358 on his 39th and last lap of the day. But earlier in the day, Hunter-Reay took advantage of the wet weather to test a new Firestone rain tire it hopes to use next season.
Simon Pagenaud, in the No. 77 HP Schmidt Hamilton Motorsports Honda, was second with Will Power, Sebastien Bourdais and Helio Castroneves rounding out the top five. Pagenaud was the only Honda in that group; all in the top five were in the 1:05 range.
Scott Dixon, James Hinchcliffe, Justin Wilson, Marco Andretti and Charlie Kimball completed the top 10. Runners from sixth to 20th set laps in the 1:06 bracket.
Oriol Servia, back for Panther Racing, was 12th after logging 58 laps on the day. Series newcomers Luca Filippi and James Davison, driving for Barracuda Racing and Dale Coyne Racing, respectively, clocked in 18th and 21st. Filippi ran 56 laps in anticipation of his debut, Davison 39.
Kimball ran the most laps on the day, 71, while Dario Franchitti was only able to turn 16. Graham Rahal had a fuel issue and was unable to set a representative time; it’s particularly unfortunate for the hometown driver as he also lost a day’s worth of running at the Barber open test before the season started.
There were several red flags for off-course excursions by Tristan Vautier, Tony Kanaan twice, Takuma Sato twice (Turn 9) and Josef Newgarden (Turn 11). None of the cars sustained significant damage and all will be back in play for official practice on Friday. The race is live Sunday, at 3 p.m. ET, on NBC Sports Network.
- Talladega Nights-inspired restaurant sued by Sony Pictures 0
- It’s happy hour at Team Penske after Vegas sweep (VIDEO) 1
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 1
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 2
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)