Jul 31, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Marussia plan to retain their current drivers in 2014 according to team principal John Booth.
“I’d like to keep them both for next year. At the moment it depends on a variety of options and option expires and things like that,” Booth told Sky.
Jules Bianchi and Max Chilton were both yet to start a grand prix when the season started, having graduated from feeder series GP2.
Marussia had to drop former driver Timo Glock shortly before the season began due to financial pressures forcing them to take a paying driver. Glock was originally replaced by Luiz Razia who tested for the team in February. But when the Brazilian driver’s backing fell through Jules Bianchi was promoted to the team.
Bianchi has impressed this season and has links to Ferrari through their driver development program. Marussia will use Ferrari engines next year, but Booth insisted the two arrangements are not connected.
Booth said he plans to firm up the team’s driver plans for next season much earlier than last year.
“We took a massive gamble with two race novices,” Booth admitted. “With two rookies it could have finished in a right old mess, but you can count on one hand the mistakes made between them.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Gene Haas’ F1 team changes team name, launches new pages 3
- Cindric proposes IndyCar champion Will Power will run No. 1 in 2015 2
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 1
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 3
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 5
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1